Friday, January 18, 2008

OUTPATIENT POSITIVITY

I am writing after my first week as an outpatient. I will start off saying that there are improvements but it will be a long tough battle for me: re-learning to hold a cup (with my left hand); not dribbling when I drink; brushing my teeth or hair (with my left hand because I am left handed). Imagine if you lost all muscle use of a leg and someone tells you to stand. That is when you realize how much muscle you do use when you stand and it is gone and has to be re-worked so you can stand correctly! So every day these little occupational therapies happen spontaneously now (with no occupational therapist) and I must count the little things I improved and learned as success. You all do these things hundreds of times and do not give them a second thought (don't start thinking your tiny activities are such big successes now unless you are me ok?) Anyway, I am not in the hospital and I am getting better slowly. (Positive thought as encouraged by my shrink and easy to do because it is true!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marilyn-I'm glad you are making progress and achieving some independence and making gains more on your own with less assistance from your therapists. I'm cheering for you! Thanks for sharing your story- and way to stay positive keeping your sense of humor with all that you are going through. Much love and positivity- Kari

Soojahni said...

Hi, Marilyn--

You may not feel very up right now, but you seem so very positive despite everything. Good for you! It must sometimes be a struggle to keep looking up and speaking "up" and so on, but it's so clear that you're taking every little thing on, and with great determination. That seems incredibly positive to me and our household is cheering you on raucously.

Sending all kinds of visions of laughter, smiles, peaceful moments in the sun, cozy moments at home, and boundless energy to begin each new day.

Only a couple months ago I dreamed of you walking to the Dolores Market and chit-chatting with friends about all of this and even smiling about it. At the time you weren't speaking yet--so look, It's already well on the way to being true! Hang in there, Marilyn. You're amazing and you're doing so much every single day.

Soon,

Sujan

Anonymous said...

Yes, stay positive! Don't be too hard on yourself- sometimes I dribble when I drink too and I don't have a good excuse!

Lex

Alex Prime said...

Hey Marilyn,
Keep up the good work. I know you're giving it 110%! You've come such a long way so far. You still have a bit of a journey ahead, but you've got all the tools you need to get there.

We miss you and think about you every day! Can't wait for you to come home. Love, Alex