Saturday, January 12, 2008

Craig Hospital discharge

Hello everyone!

I am staying with Gareth's parents in Golden, Colo since being discharged which is really cool of them since he will be home in Dolores during the week. I guess the info I got from my attending this week regarding how discharge can make the patients very tired held true for me as I was exhausted and tired (They refer to this change as a "reintegration into society" -uh oh, you all have been warned of my "reintegration").

As for the discharge: my therapists are all as dedicated as I could want and my eyes are being treated for the double vision with rotation (pray for that) and my lack of ability to produce the neurochemical Serotonin is being treated with low dose antidepressant which has ceased my inappropriate laughing (emotional lability) but can not put a stop to the appropriate laughing.

My medical knowledge of Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) has taken a leap since I have been considered a "severe" TBI -patient and now I am hoping that this experience will influence my future in medicine somewhat - look out patients because I am being influenced by this experience. See you soon Doloreans but keep in mind how tired I may be!

4 comments:

Alison said...

Marilyn, it sounds like you are doing awesome! I am so glad that the Martins are there for you (as they all have been right from the start)--thanks to the Martin family!!
Interesting about the seretonin, since we studied that at college. Will that condition change? I'm thankful that it's not surpressing your 'real' laughter as you have such a fun-loving, free spirit!! Eddie is developing his own little spirited personality and we love it!
I will certainly pray for that eye to come 'round to center.
I know you're working hard -- sleep well and enjoy the remaining days of your stay in Denver.
Lots of love, Alison

barbandmichael said...

Hello Marilyn...wonderful to hear your continuing forward progress! Thought you might be interested in a source text I came across when I was working in behavioral health where serotonin is such a big contributor to the challenges faced by so many. The book is: The Serotonin Solution by Judith Wurtman, PhD, a researcher at MIT. It was written for folks struggling with the weight gain that often accompanies a brain hungry for serotnin and experiencing the accompanying fatigue, et al. Excellent science and wonderful recipes! Barb

Sujan said...

Hey, Marilyn--

I'm counting the days until you come home (shhhh...l know I'm not supposed to be, and that patience is the key right now). Your recovery is so incredible and multi-faceted and I don't know how you keep up with yourself!

Thinking of you and sending love and hugs,

Sujan

Anonymous said...

Marilyn, I am so glad you are doing better, I could not believe it when Greg told me what happened. You are a risk taker....LOL Now its time to get better and back in the office. Karen Shry