Friday, October 19, 2007

Friday 10/19 update



Our first week at Kindred is drawing to an end. I've gained a good perspective on what we face in weeks and months to come. First, there really isn't a dramatic "wake-up" from an injury like this. Progress is incremental, often subtle and slow. Challenges are maintaining Marilyn's health while getting her plenty of rehab therapy. I am comfortable that is happening here, although I am sure I've been a bit of a pain in the neck to the caregivers.

Overall - she is trying to break through. Good signs include: chewing and swallowing ice, yawning, holding a brush and taking it to her hair, holding a toothbrush and taking it to her mouth, tossing a ball at me, snapping her fingers, spending part of each day in a special chair and even going outside, trying to speak on the phone, opening her mouth and sticking out her tongue so I could brush her teeth, turning on the TV with the remote and changing channels and more. I hope for more wake up time, speaking and revival of her left side in time.

I've found some good sources for understanding what is going on with Marilyn that I will share with you. First the Rancho Los Amigos scale lines out the general stages of brain injury recovery: http://www.rancho.org/patient_education/bi_cognition.pdf. Also the Craig Hospital website (Marilyn's next stop) provides many educational resources here. http://www.craighospital.org/TBI/HealthandWellness.asp

4 comments:

Alison said...

Fabulous, Mar is moving forward. Mar, we are with you with each action, and Gareth, I'm sure you are doing fabulous and watching after her every need. We "Mar fans" that aren't able to visit and see her progress each day miss her terribly. Some of her friends (Nicole, Sarah, Melissa and I) put together a slideshow of some photos from some of our 'shining' moments at college and thereafter. Hopefully this link works:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=6nd3v85.a89zz47l&Uy=6ayon8&Ux=0
Keep on truckin', Mar, we love you!

barbandmichael said...

Hello again Gareth and Marilyn,
Just checking in this afternoon....thanks so much for the update and the websites with info--will check them out so we understand more clearly what you two are experiencing together and individually. Such a lovely fall day here today...wrapping you both in the sights, sounds, and smells in our thoughts and prayers! Baking an apple pie this afternoon from our wonderful Dolores apples..so that fragrance is mixed in too!
Much love, Michael and Barb

Judy said...

Hi Gareth,

I hadn't signed in or recorded anything because I didn't have a google account and didn't know how easily I could have one. But your message today was one I had to respond to because it said what I have been wanting to say as I have read folks comments; namely, give Marilyn time and know that how ever much she is able to recover she will have earned oodles of respect and cheers louder than the Rockies are getting and a fan support base that is there in all circumstances. Expect miracles but let Marilyn and God work in their own time frame. Marilyn is in my prayers and will continue to be. We are here to offer whatever help we can give whether it is someone to spell you at the hospital occasionally or an occasional get away. Also if your folks need dog sitting help on occasion they can call us. We are pet free at present but our back yard is dog safe unless you have a digger or a gate eater. I have a cousin who has had a closed head injury and a good friend. I know how slow and incremental recovery can be and I know that you as well as Marilyn will need much support. Patience is a virtue so I have been told (mostly by my sister), so be aware that you are becoming more and more virtuous as you work. Cheer softly and carry a big stick to throw to the visiting canines.

Our best to Marilyn and to you.

Judy and Tom McKeon

Anonymous said...

Marilyn and Gareth,
Jay and I have been keeping close track of you on the blog and sending our love and prayers to you! xxoo to to you both.

Marianne