Monday, June 23, 2008

A Life Prayer

It has been too long and anyone reading still - thank you. Well, as expected, my life keeps on swirling with new unanticipated events - 2 weeks ago a severe downside where negative things in my personality showed up - in a survivor mechanism disguise - I want to, but can't blame head injury on these things... thanks to some supportive friends, I am getting through this by ceasing the negative aspects... except poor Gareth is being overwhelmed by my depression that past monsters made the unwelcome return and were brought to my attention and, even though gone now, they stirred up concerns and increased my paranoia immensely - now it feels like anyone can be out to get me. The phrase "adding insult to injury" has taken on a new meaning - I managed injury by breaking my neck, C2 and C7, and occluded arteries that supply my brain with O2, and paralyzed my left side, I managed to cover the injury with one that is absolutely the worst experience - no awful life ending illness but a life sparing hell - a life of torture that doesn't seem to be ending - and recent events have added insult after insult to the injury - Compassion - it is challenging in this day and age - but giving compassion comes back to you. My apology and my favorite - yes high school, love poem from a book called Life prayers to my love

I will fight this and my life will be strong again.
Gareth:

I love you,
Not only for what you are,
But for what I am
When I am with you.

I love you,
Not only for what
You have made of yourself,
But for what
You are making of me.

I love you
For the part of me
That you bring out;
I love you
for putting your hand
Into my heaped-up heart
And passing over
All the foolish, weak things
That you can't help
Dimly seeing there,
And for drawing out
Into the light
All the beautiful belongings
That no one else had looked
Quite far enough to find.

I love you because you
Are helping me to make
Of the lumber of my life
Not a tavern
But a temple;
Of my every day
Not a reproach
But a song.

I love you
Because you have done
More than any creed
Could have done
To make me good,
And more than any fate
Could have done
To make me happy.

You have done it
Without a touch,
Without a word,
Without a sign.
You have done it
By being yourself.
Perhaps that is what
Being my best friend means,
After all.

- R. Croft


Thank you my love...
M

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marilyn, I work with your mom at the hospital, I ask her pretty much everyday, "How's Marilyn"?

Take Care, and I still ready your blog.

Mary

barbandmichael said...

Hello Marilyn and Gareth,
Yes...still reading, still wrapping you both in deep prayer, still sending sweet thoughts your way when one or both of you appear in my mind in the midst of these busy summer days.
I remember when I used to describe this ptsd as a 'diagnosis of the walking dead...I won't die of it, but I am trapped living in the hell and pain of it'. The journey of recovery and healing continues and perhaps will always be with me....and the 'living in hell' is now in the past. My life is not the same as it was before...and that was the most difficult part to accept, I believe. And yet, each day I discover new dimensions of my self that I doubt I would have ever explored without this challenge.
And as you so dearly point out with your poem to Gareth, Marilyn..the most incredible and precious part of this journey is the experience of being loved...acccepted, 'put up with', truly seen by another..for me, my Michael! Barb B.

Anonymous said...

Marilyn, I've been reading the blog and am still reading, and I think of you daily. I wish I could offer words that would help, but I can only offer feelings of love, compassion, empathy and wishes of good fortune and recovery. Please keep the blog going, as I know it would be burdensome to write to all of us that read often. Alice Rudin.

Anonymous said...

Oh Mar - I'm still reading too! I feel really sad that you are in so much pain, I've never known you to be so down for so long. Usually you would explode with rage and then it's more or less over. Your life is different now, but you are still you. The old Mar is not dead, Mar is just different and adapting to her new situation. Your adventures and means of enjoyment have to be done with a different twist. Embrace the new life you have. Love you! Jen Alexovich Espinosa

this property condemned said...

This was written on my birthday. How long has it been since we last spoke? I know that you were in the process of going to do research with a cardiologist in a remote area. Then, it was like you fell off the face of the earth. Is that when you met Gareth? In my experience girlfriends who suddenly stop calling/writing do so b/c a man has entered their lives. Not that it matters, just that I never knew what happened to you. All I had was an email that I would send to and never receive a reply...until now. Strange how both of us have suffered a sort of death and been reborn into a shadow of our former selves. I suppose the universe had some reason for the interruption of our friendship but it would have been nice to give and receive support through those dark days...I am glad you are improving and that we have finally reconnected.